Edward Colin Smith
Mindful technology professional & servant leader bringing enthusiasm, curiosity, creativity, strategic direction, and a mindful culture.
THRIVE NETWORKS (acquired InfoHedge) New York, NY
Service Delivery Manager – NY Region March 2019 – Present
- People Leadership: Governing daily operations for approx. 20 Associate Engineers, Technical Support Engineers, System Engineers, and System Administrators. Performing write-ups and yearly reviews for Service Delivery Engineers. Guiding twice weekly meditation sessions to improve productivity and overall work performance.
- Results-Driven IT: Maintaining NY Region Service Desk performance, a major contribution to the Thrive Networks recapitalization with Court Square Capital and increasing private equity backing by 300%. Designing the process for managing and scheduling computer builds.
- Customer success: Governing procedural escalations and de-escalating dissatisfied clients via improved customer service.
- Hands-on Leader: Tracing calls and efficiently reviewing extensive ticket histories to make thorough incident reports & performance indicator reports on call answer rate and case resolution rate performance metrics.
- Visibility & Transparency: Reporting regularly to senior management on team health and KPIs, partnering with Service Delivery Managers region wide on training opportunities.
- Implementation: ServiceNow and 3CLogic for acquired companies (Precision IT Group, InfoHedge, S7 Technology Group), including importing and coding hundreds of tickets from the old system and providing training and Q&A.
- Tools & Workflows: Refining proactively to adjust to changing requirements (i.e. creating dashboards & UI and widgets to ensure success such as awareness of assigned tickets and daily priorities after migration to a new ticketing system: ‘Service Delivery Engineer’, ‘Coordinator Dashboard’, ‘Event Management’.
- Pandemic Response: Facilitated remote switch from 1% to 80% to 100% (March 2020), ensuring 0 drop in productivity, decreasing ticket backlog and increasing monthly recurring revenue (MRR).
INFOHEDGE TECHNOLOGIES (acuired by Thrive Networks) New York, NY
NOC Supervisor October 2017 – August 2018
- Team Building: Mentored a multi-office team of support engineers & dispatchers; interviewing candidates, hiring and training talent. Acted as a cross-functional liaison for Systems Engineering, Accounting, Sales, and Account Management.
- Representation: Shepherded high-profile, flagship client delicate cases to resolution, keeping all parties updated.
- Human Resources: Reported to Senior Management for use in staffing / capacity planning, utilization and profitability calculations, and performance reviews (review/bonus decisions).
- Standardization: Managed and created technical documentation (internal Knowledge Base articles & external how-tos).
- Mentoring: Junior & Senior Support Engineers to ensure timely response and triage 30+ tickets daily, meeting SLAs.
Senior Support Engineer March 2016 – October 2017
- Follow Through: Utilized multiple systems tools to research end-user issues and provide adaptable and expeditious resolutions, troubleshooting and fixing a pervasive logon issue (Windows Defender and Trend OfficeScan incompatibility).
- Installations: Managed on-boarding, extending IP range to increase DHCP scope. Maintaining Windows 7/8/10 unattended installs for client migrations & new machine build-outs, merging drivers and Microsoft patches into installs.
- Collaboration: Worked with the Endpoints Team to create and manage SCCM offline domain join & Mac OS X image.
Support Engineer June 2012 – May 2016
- Point of Contact: Supported multiple hundreds of companies and thousands of endpoints hosted on a proprietary private-cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) digital platform, with regular interaction with high-priority clients.
- Business Continuity: Provided initial triage at client-sites as main support escalation point for recovery process & setup in temporary space (i.e. water pipe burst, fire & major equipment loss), resuming business-critical processes the same day with full remote access (Bomgar) the following. Located and recovered documents critical to audit reports; determined cause, facilitated recovery, assessment, and assisted in compliance and auditing event documentation.
- Continuous Improvement: Designed a workflow for the service desk using the ConnectWise ticketing system, streamlining user creations, user terminations, and computer build-outs and QAs. Developed computer migration process using the ForensiT Profile Migration Wizard tool, for successful onboarding of a new client with 250+ endpoints (including Jamf) and users. Re-designed the endpoint imaging and build-out process, decreasing build time by 50%.
- Technical Documentation: 1) Detailed Blackberry 10 group policy administration in response to client requests; performed troubleshooting with senior engineers and RIM specialists, resulting in feature enhancement request (DEV Task: DT7194998). 2) Windows 8 & 10 support for machines on proprietary platforms, assessing user needs, and enabling rapid build-out. 3) client-facing summary regarding potential mishandling of confidential information with investigation and data correlation from multiple systems. 4) Five to ten client building power-downs/maintenance procedures per year.
- Root Cause Resolutions: 1) Complex recurring issue (C: drive rapidly filled up with 10s to 100s of GB of CBS log files due to failure of the archive process, causing the temp files to build up). 2) Workarounds for widespread Citrix VDI performance issues. 3) MS Office Support redesign and addition to database (KB2808316) detailing critical network behavior around mapped drive hyperlinks in documents. 4) Partnering with clients, their Internet Service Provider (ISP), and third-party application vendor to resolve functionality issues with critical business accounting platforms.
- Versatile Applied Knowledge: Created action plans on adjusting workflow to adhere to industry standards and best practices on spam reputation with high-level e-mail marketing, message flow, and anti-spam issues using various e-mail auditing tools including Exchange, SonicWall, IronPort, message header analysis.
TREMBLANT CAPITAL GROUP New York, NY
Network and Systems Administrator November 2005 – March 2012
- Cross-functional Leadership: Worked closely with Middle/Back Office, Risk Management, and Development to deploy in-house data warehouse, thereby increasing frequency and data accuracy & integrity in applications; produced analyses for continued development. Provided monitoring, maintenance and advanced troubleshooting of all equipment, enterprise software & servers and appliances to ensure security and availability of systems and services.
- Enhancement: Improved data backup reliability while accommodating evolution of systems; analyzed and reconfigured BackupExec 9 schedule; upgraded to BackupExec 12.5; built new backup server with increased disk space and 2010. Designed and tested failover/ failback procedure for e-mail and BES systems at production and DR sites. Improved procedures for increased service stability and availability during two building power-downs.
- Migration: Planned and executed Exchange 2003 to 2010 migration, installed MS TMG with RSA dual-factor authentication, and maximized security & availability of Outlook Web Access and Active-Sync. Moved all roles (FSMO, DNS, DHCP, NTP) from production 2003 DCs to 2008R2. Performed concurrent migration of production IP addresses and enabled knife-edge cutover. Designed technology procedures for office relocation, with innovative and evolving solutions for reliable access to e-mail, phones, and files with limited technology infrastructure.
- Subject Matter Expertise: Provided advanced reporting and modeling to analysts, traders, portfolio managers and senior executives, including trading desk using Eze Castle Software OMS platform, FIX, Bloomberg, various ECNs, and in-house Datawarehouse report & analytics platform. Ensured BCP data availability, implementing replication via CA ArcServe Replication via a site-to-site VPN. Increased file share availability; implemented DFS-R 2003R2 on primary & secondary production file servers and tertiary file server (Connecticut), and improved reliability with update to 2008.
- Process Improvement: Initiated a company-wide customer satisfaction survey to design improved helpdesk workflow, increasing intra-departmental efficiencies. Improved workstation failure time-to-resolution, defined hardware & software standards, and reduced churn by saving functioning components from failed parts during repairs. Enabled ~200% increase
in efficiency, as well as sophistication & analysis of research projects by implementing a dedicated VMware host. Tripled reliability and efficacy of Middle Office start & end-of-day processes by working with the Department Head.
- Cost Savings: 1) Desktop hardware and deployment costs by developing workstation hardware specifications, operating system configuration standards, base-level software load and system imaging procedures. 2) Desktop management overhead by implementing Kace KBox systems management appliance; automated rollout of operating system and software updates, solutions for specific break/fix issues. 3) Asset management & budgeting and reseller charges by establishing Dell Business Account by working with the account team to appropriate purchases with best ROI. 4) Saved $20K+ in hardware and $7K in annual maintenance fees by proposing and implementing first production VMware host; consolidated 13 physical servers.
Bucknell University Lewisburg, PA B.A. 09/2000 – 05/2004
Developmental Disabilities Institute (DDI) Internship Sep – Dec 2004
Worked with IT department to improve technology infrastructure across multiple sites, and increase access and quality for teachers and students.
Windows Server, Windows Desktop, Mac OS X, Microsoft Exchange, VMware, Citrix, RSA, iOS, Android, Eze OMS, Advent Geneva, Microsoft 365, Google Workspace
Troubleshooting & Administration, IPSEC & SSL VPN, TCP/IP, VoIP, Cisco IOS
Windows Command & PowerShell scripting, VBScript, Microsoft Office VBA macros, C++, Java,
Wireshark, Citrix VDI Desktop Director, Trend Micro OfficeScan and Worry Free Business Security, Symantec BackupExec, Acronis Backup & Recovery, Nmap, SolarWinds Orion and N-Able, Dell OpenManage & DRAC, Symantec Endpoint Security Protection, FactSet, CapitalIQ, Liquidnet, ConnectWise, SonicWall Email Security, Cisco IronPort, ServiceNow, 3CLogic, Mimecast, Kaseya, Devops tools, Google Data Analytics Certificate
Sparked.com Technology Support Jan 2011 – Oct 2017
Consulting & troubleshooting to community queries submitted by various non-profit organizations and projects.